Friday, February 1, 2013

Roll Up!


Rolling up to February...
Okay, a little cheesy. Anyways, I'm starting my birthday month off with a tasty roll cake with a twist. The twist? It's a turquoise blue colour. Why? Just because I felt like it. Adding a little colour just makes things a little more spunky, don't you think?

I had a pretty tasty recipe for a roll cake, one that I grew up with, but it used far too many egg yolks (10-12, yikes!) and I wanted a recipe that used a few less so that, perhaps, I might be able to make it a little more often without feeling so wasteful. Upon looking up other roll cake recipes, reading through reviews and suggestions, I ended up choosing a decent cake recipe that used only 4 eggs and mostly the same ingredients otherwise. Using only the cake from this new found recipe and combining it with the pudding filling from my original recipe (my favorite part anyways) this is what I came up with.

Cake:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Filling:
1 cup cream, whipped
1 pkg butterscotch instant pudding
3/4 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 375F. Sift powdered sugar over a 12"x17" area of a clean thin kitchen towel. Grease a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan. Line pan with waxed paper. Grease only the surface of the wax paper. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Beat the eggs in medium bowl until frothy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, water, vanilla and sifted flour mixture, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Immediately loosen the cake around the edges and invert cake onto the prepared towel. Carefully remove paper. Roll the cake beginning at the narrow end. Cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes.

Beat together pudding and milk until well combined. Mix in the whipped cream until blended. Unroll cooled cake and spread with pudding mix, about 1/2" thick within 1/2" of edges of cake. Roll back up and refrigerate (or freeze) for a few hours before serving.

Now, I don't have a proper jelly roll pan so, as usual, used a baking sheet. It works out just find, however you don't get a good "roll" look, as you can see. Nevertheless, it was delish.

Happy February all!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday month to us! That cake looks delicious. We're old, but it's our Jack Bauer year! Time to go nuts! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fella refused to even try this cake, said it was "some weird sushi looking thing". Anyways, I had to google Jack Bauer, had no idea who he was. Totally out of touch with shit, I know. Happy birthdays to us!

      Delete