Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Celebrate

Yesterday Dustin and I celebrated our one year anniversary. It was a pretty simple celebration, but it was nice. Simple, for me, is just lovely. We woke up and went to the lake. I love the lake. Around where we live the lake is one of my absolute favorite places, especially hanging around the dam. So we went there, got some ice cream, he had plain and I had a strawberry sundae. Yum.

We took our ice cream and drove to the lookout point. We finished our ice cream then proceeded to sit in the grass, like a pair of flower children...which, funny enough, I was wearing the vintage pink/purple/orange long psychedelic skirt I picked up at the garage sale on Friday...but anyways, we exchanged gifts and he played guitar and sang one of my absolute favorite song; Whole Wide World by Wreckless Eric. That is, of course, until one of the strings broke. I guess he had been practicing the song for a few days without any guitar problems, but the first time he ever played and sang to me (ever, actually) the string broke. Despite how embarrassed he felt it was probably the sweetest thing he could have done on our anniversary.

After the lake we played one of the games I had given him, I set up the table with antique plates, flowers in glass pop bottles, and a few of our many instax photos of us together, and made a silly little lobster banner our of card stock paper and printed images of a quick lobster drawing I did just earlier. I made the lobster tails and four cheese pizza, we ate, we kissed, and we hung out the rest of the night.

Could we have done something elaborate and expensive? Perhaps. However, the simpleness of the day, to me, was the best thing about it. Another day in our life together. The start of our next year.

1 comment: